International Education Systems and Curriculums
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by taking ONE of following tests.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered by the Educational Testing Services of Princeton, New Jersey. For more information, application forms, or to obtain information about the regional center administering the TOEFL for your country, visit their web site at www.toefl.org.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), jointly managed by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. For more information, application forms, or to obtain information about the regional center administering the IELTS for your country, visit their web site at www.ielts.org.
- The PTE is the Pearson Tests of English, which measures your English ability by testing your level of English through tasks which reflect real-life settings. Visit their website at www.pearsonpte.com.
We recommend the TOEFL or IELTS be taken by January 15. Late test scores MUST be received by March 1.
- Students taking the IELTS must obtain a score of at least 6.5, with no subscore below 6.5 to be considered for admission to Virginia Tech.
- Students taking the PTE must obtain a score of at least 53.
- Depending on the type of TOEFL used, Virginia Tech expects students to have scores of:
- Internet-based test: at least 80, with no section sub-score less than 16
- Computer-based test: at least 233
- Paper-based test: at least 550
If a student does not have the required TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score, but meets other admission requirements, the student is encouraged to enroll in Virginia Tech’s Language and Culture Institute (VTLCI) program until he/she reaches the required score. Once the score is achieved, the student is offered admission as a regular degree-seeking student.
To have your IELTS/TOEFL/PTE score automatically sent to Virginia Tech, please specify Virginia Tech’s CEEB code (5859) on the test form. We recommend the English language proficiency tests be taken by January 15 and scores must be received on or before March 1.
TOEFL Waiver: Students that have completed 6 credit hours of transferrable English will receive a TOEFL waiver. Classes must be equivalent to our Freshmen English courses: ENGL 1105 & ENG 1106. Transfer equivalencies can be found here: http://www.tranguide.registrar.vt.edu/
Students at Virginia Tech are expected to have the language skills necessary for successful participation in our community. In light of such, we recommend that international applicants participate in an interview conducted by InitialView as part of their application. InitialView will conduct and record an interview with you and provide it and a writing sample directly to us for our review. InitialView does not rate or grade the interview/writing sample. Evaluation is done by our admission office.
You may learn more about InitialView at www.initialview.com. Please arrange to have your interview completed as early as possible. The deadline for completing the interview is February 15, 2017.
We strongly encourage Chinese applicants to participate in an interview with our partner organization in China. Please contact InitialView to schedule your evaluation.