Honors College

Admission to the Honors College is open to all applicants. Once you submit your Virginia Tech application, you will be able to access the Honors College application on your Application Status Page. The application will include an application form, a curriculum vita, a personal statement, and a letter of reference.

Freshmen looking to enter Honors should understand that admission to the program is based on an application specifically directed to Honors College and is completely separate from their application to Virginia Tech. Honors cannot send the application information to you until the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has received and processed your application to the university.

To learn more, visit www.honorscollege.vt.edu.

Corps of Cadets

The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, open to all students, is a university program dedicated to developing tomorrow’s leaders. While participating in a full-time military academic lifestyle, cadets hone their leadership, time-management, and decision-making skills.

Students who have exceptional leadership qualities, as demonstrated through a record of leadership in extracurricular activities, student and civic organizations, athletic teams, or successful employment prior to college, and who are interested in enrolling in the Corps of Cadets, may be given additional consideration in the admissions process. However, please note that applying to the university and designating on your application your intent to enroll as a cadet is a serious commitment to the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. The admissions committee reserves the right to reevaluate your admission status if you request a change to civilian status after you have been offered admission as a cadet. If you must become exempt from cadet status due to personal, health, or other reasons, situations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

As an addition to their chosen academic track, cadets also have the opportunity to receive a minor in leadership through the Corps of Cadets Leader Development program. Cadets are not required to participate in ROTC, but all ROTC students must be members of the corps.

All cadets (except juniors or seniors living with their spouses) are required to live in cadet residence halls unless excused by the commandant. The corps offers scholarships that do not require military service; the ROTC programs offer some scholarships that do.

For more information, contact the Commandant of Cadets

143 Brodie Hall
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-6413
toll-free, 888/VTCORPS (882-6777)


All entering freshmen are required to live in university residence halls unless they are:

  • Living with parents;
  • Married and living with a spouse;
  • Veterans of at least six months of military service, or;
  • At least 21 years old.

Requests for release from this requirement or permission to live with relatives (other than parents) must be submitted to:

Housing and Residence Life (0428)
New Hall West, Ste 144, Virginia Tech
190 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg VA 24061

After the freshman year, students who wish to continue living in residence halls may apply for university housing. Transfer students may request on-campus housing, but it is not guaranteed.

Computer Requirement

All entering students are required to have their own personal computer. Specifications vary by major. Information regarding model requirements and available purchase options is updated by May 1 on the Computer Requirement website. For more information about the computer requirement, visit compreq.vt.edu or send email to computer.requirement@vt.edu.

Students with Disabilities

Virginia Tech admits students without regard to disabling conditions. The university makes reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities in the university setting. In doing so, a variety of supplemental services are offered to help offset the functional disadvantages of a disability and help increase students’ educational opportunities.

For evaluation and assistance, students with disabilities attending Virginia Tech should contact:

Services for Students with Disabilities
250 South Main Street, Suite 300
Blacksburg, VA 24061
TTY: 540/231-0853

Applicants with disabilities who desire assistance or accommodation in the application or admission process should notify:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
925 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061
TTY: 540/231-9175

Learn more on our Services for Students with Disabilities Information Sheet (PDF 293KB)

Campus Security

Virginia Tech received both the Virginia and National Law Enforcement Challenge for Traffic Saftey in 1999 and 2000, awarded by the International Association of Chiefs of Police, as well as the Governor’s Community Crime Prevention award twice in recent years. The University Police Department is nationally accredited. The department gathers and publishes statistics on campus crime, including the Clery Act, and guidelines for campus security.

For more information, contact:

Virginia Tech Police
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540/231- 6411

Did You Know?

In recent years, 90 percent of Virginia Tech’s entering freshmen returned for their sophomore year. More than half of our undergraduate students earn their baccalaureate degrees in four years. (Note that the University Cooperative Education Program and several popular majors, including architecture and landscape architecture, are five-year programs.) About 75 percent of undergraduate students earn their degrees in five years, and 76 percent in six years. You can learn more about retention or graduation rates by contacting the University Registrar.

Blacksburg, VA 24061