International students who will be entering our university as F-1 visa holders must show evidence of sufficient funds for their first year of study at our university before the required I-20 immigration form can be issued by the university. The I-20 will be needed for the F-1 student visa interview.

International students who will be entering our university as J-1 bilateral exchange students must show at least $6,000 USD for each semester they wish to study at our school before the required DS-2019 form can be issued by the university. The DS-2019 will be needed for the J-1 student visa interview.

Although U.S. Immigration Service regulations permit F-1 and J-1 student visa holders to work on campus, employment opportunities on campus are extremely limited. F-1 and J-1 visa holders are not allowed to work off campus without work authorization. Any off campus employment MUST be approved by the International Student Advisor at the university and/or USCIS.

International students holding other visa statuses should be aware that visa regulations are substantially different for each type of visa. if you have a question regarding the regulations for your visa status, please contact the Cranwell International Center at

The following is a list of estimated expenses you can expect to incur as an undergraduate at Virginia Tech during the 2016-2017 school year (nine months, or two semesters, in length). These are expenses for a single student (you should add $5,500 for a spouse and $2,500 for each dependent child).

The following expenses are estimates and subject to change.

Tuition & Fees $30,100
Room & Board* $8,720
Other Expenses
Note: Other expenses include books, supplies, lab fees, health insurance, laundry, personal spending money, travel costs, etc.
Total $45,770

 Room and Board

  • Freshmen are required to live on campus at Virginia Tech and can expect to pay the on-campus residence hall expense.
  • Freshmen who are over 21 years of age are permitted to live off campus.
  • Students past their freshman year are not guaranteed housing on campus and should plan their finances as though space will not be available.
  • Students who will be bringing family members are not permitted to live in the residence halls.
  • Students who will be living off campus are usually required to sign twelve-month apartment leases; hence, the off-campus living expense is calculated for a full year rather than an academic year.
  • Please note that in the U.S. after signing any housing contract (lease), the lease cannot be broken and terms cannot be changed for any reason.

 Computer Requirement

  • All entering students are required to have a personal computer. Students offered admission wil receive additional information regarding specifications and purchase options. Information is also available at


Payment of Expenses

Payment is required at the beginning of each of the two semesters and may be paid online or with a paper check. The check must be written in U.S. dollars, on a U.S. bank or a foreign bank with a U.S. correspondent. Please make the check payable to Treasurer, Virginia Tech. Tuition bills for Fall Semester will be emailed in July and payments will be due in early August.

Please contact the Office of the University Bursar or Frequently Asked Questions for International Students for more information or for additional payment options.

Office of the University Bursar
150 Student Services Building
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

fax: 540-231-3238

Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.