Academic Requirements for Freshmen
Each year, over 20,000 people apply to be among approximately 5,900 entering students. Before you can be considered for freshman admission, you must complete:
- 18 units of high-school course work
- 4 units of English
- 3 units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
- 2 units of laboratory science (chosen from biology, chemistry or physics)
- 2 units of social science (one must be history)
- 3 additional academic units (foreign language is highly recommended)
- 4 elective units
Some majors have other requirements, such as an additional year of advanced math or lab science. Most students who are selected for admission have completed more than the minimum requirements and have at least a B+ grade point average.
Virginia Tech will accept scores from the ACT, the old SAT and the redesigned SAT. Because the redesigned SAT is a different test than the old SAT, a numerical score on one test will not be equivalent to the same numerical score on the other. CollegeBoard has provided concordance tables which can be found here.
Fall 2016 Freshman Snapshot
SAT* scores ranged from 810 to 1600
ACT scores ranged from 17 to 36
(SAT scores reflect critical reading and math section scores only)
Please note: These are not minimum requirements for admission to Virginia Tech.
For more information about the incoming class of 2021 (Fall 2017), please see the complete Freshman Snapshot.
All data current as of May 16, 2017